I can’t believe we finally have new floors in the kitchen! We’ve came so far on this kitchen. You can read about the changes we’ve made here, here, and here. And if you’ve forgotten what it looked like when we first started…
And here it is today!
After bringing home sample after sample of flooring for months, we finally decided on porcelain tile. And I love it; although it about killed us!
It took me three days to hammer, I mean, remove the old ceramic tile! 300 square feet of tile in three days = one sore gal!
Here I was at 299 1/4 square feet to go…
Some spots would just pop up with very little effort, but for the most part, it was like this:
And when it would crack, the edges would shatter into hundreds of tiny shards of ceramic! I figured out real quick to cover the tiles I was working on, as I had to have Mr. use tweezers to get a tiny piece of ceramic out of my arm when he got home the first day! (I used one of his old t-shirts to cover the tiles and then just threw it away when I was done.)
Hank was a big help and supervised as I scraped the thin set off the floors once I got all the tiles up.
Then it was time to install; and time to watch a lot of YouTube videos! Like everything else we do, we were going in pretty blind and clueless. We borrowed a wet saw from Mr.’s cousin, but it was old and tired; so we, of course, had to buy a new one. $$ But let me tell you, this is one awesome saw! We were tile cutting wizards by the time we were done!
I wanted the floors to have a wood floor look, with different sizes of planks, so we cut the tile planks in random lengths. (no rhyme or reason) It made for extra time to lay the floor, but it was so worth it. Mr. did 99% of the floor, and he did such a great job!!
But here’s proof that I did 1% of laying the floor. 🙂
Here’s Mr. doing his Michael Jackson impression! (he may or may not have needed stitches! I don’t know…I didn’t look!) But I should have bejeweled his glove!
We had a couple of places where the thinset got carried away and made it’s way up the sides of the tile. I used a grout remover tool and scraped it down. I put a couple of pieces of painters tape on each side. That way if I slipped while scraping, it wouldn’t scratch the tile.
And once again, Hank is supervising me while I removed the grout haze.
My heart sunk at one point when I thought we had cracked the tile while moving the washer around in the laundry room! #OhCrapMoment #JustRealisticLookingTile
I’m so happy with our floor. It’s amazing how it changed the looks of the kitchen! And by doing it ourselves, we saved over $3,000! Even with buying a new wet saw.
One more before and after…
I’m so glad to be finished so I can finally get rid of all the dust in the house!
And another one bites the dust on The To-Do List! Yay!
Y’all have a great day!